Noah, my 13 month old son, used to be quite a good eater but a few weeks ago he decided to become very difficult when it comes to eating lunch and dinner. Breakfast is fine, he always seems very happy about feeding himself and is very impatient if my preparation takes too long (don’t ask me why…he still gets a bottle at 11 pm, the so called “dream-feed”, and I breastfeed him as soon as he wakes up in the morning…so he shouldn’t be hungry at all). I have no idea why he is such a fussy eater at the moment and it really upsets me that so much lovingly prepared food ends up in the bin. Anyway, I’m not giving up on him being a better eater and I just keep on doing what I’m doing. I hope it’s just a phase….
This chicken coconut curry I cooked yesterday was quite successful. I think adding peas was the winner. He loves peas. Actually he loves everything that is round, little and colourful. His favourite fruits are blueberries. If you put a bowl of different fruits in front of him, he would always go for blueberries first and not until there’s no more of them left will he then go for other fruits.
He didn’t eat the whole plate but I managed to feed him more than half of it while he was enjoying picking out every single pea with his chubby little fingers.
Ingredients: ( Serves 2-3 )
- 1/2 a chicken breast, poached and finely sliced (if it’s for your toddler)
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1/2 a onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup peas, defrosted
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 a tin coconut cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste (you can also serve it without s/p)
- Start by heating the oil in a large sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft or lightly golden.
- Add the chicken, curry powder, carrot, water and coconut cream and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for another few minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Add peas and coriander just 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with rice.